David Pere joined the Marine Corps in August of 2008. Since that time, he has lived traveled to and lived in many unique places around the world, including a combat tour in Afghanistan. His awards include the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, and Combat Action Ribbon.
David got started in real estate investing in 2015 after reading “Rich Dad Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki. He house-hacked a duplex with the FHA loan and lived in it for a little while until getting married to his beautiful wife, Kimberly, and receiving orders to Hawaii. David and Kimberly have two children, Cody (10) and Jackson (2).
While stationed in Hawaii, David bought a 10-unit apartment in Missouri and was able to use bank-financing, seller-financing, and a home equity line of credit to purchase this property with less than 6% down (and great terms)!
Through these experiences, From Military to Millionaire was born, with the goal of teaching personal finance and real estate investing to service members and the working class! As a result, he has helped many of his readers increase their savings gap, purchase real estate, and increase their chances of achieving financial freedom!
- Financial Education is YUGE
- Rule of 72
- How do you count doors?
- Never Want to be Debt Free
- Bad Debt vs. Good Debt
- CBD is not allowed for the DoD
- How to Vet a Multifamily Syndicator
- What is a Real Hawaiian Shirt?
- 3:23 – How David is transitioning to the civilian world
- 5:25 – The impending market correction everyone thinks is coming
- 6:45 – Hold or sell? David discusses a 10-unit he’s thinking of selling
- 8:05 – The difficulty in finding investment opportunities that meet your criteria
- 8:43 – One important morning habit Jay uses each day
- 9:45 – Why David is going to try delivery driving with Instacart
- 13:45 – David brings up Phil Capron, poker player and former Navy man
- 14:59 – David’s experience failing to close
- 19:18 – Why Jay has never flipped a house
- 21:50 – From Military to Millionaire – How David started the brand
- 24:00 – The Rule of 72
- 27:42 – Why David never wants to be debt free and what Jay learned from Dave Ramsey
- 34:15 – The number of units David and Jay currently have
- 37:30 – Investing in CBD companies (And why the DOD can’t invest in any companies in that industry)
- 42:45 – Other strategies David has tapped into for real estate
- 49:02 – How you can analyze potential syndicators
- 56:44 – What David would choose between a syndicator who is batting 100% versus someone who has had some bumps in the road.
- 1:04:30 – Where David buys all of his Hawaiin shirts!
Links Mentioned in the Show:
- The Military Millionaire Podcast
- The Millennial Real Estate Podcast(Not sure if this was the right podcast)
- Atomic Habits
- Phil Capron(His Instagram)
- The Velocity of Money Explained
- Dave Ramsey
- Ben Leybovich
- Grant Cardone
- I Never Want to Be Debt Free(David’s Blog)
- The Velocity of Money Explained(David’s Blog)
- Real Estate Investing for The W2 Employee Facebook Group
- Join the W2 Capitalist Mastermind
Connect with David:
- “I like to see when someone is dumping their own money into it too. To me it’s like, ‘Oh, hey, skin in the game’” – David
- “How much are you contributing to the deal?” – Jay
- “People buy from people.” – Jay
- “At the end of the day, the best way to vet a syndicator is to know that when you sign the line and send the money is that you feel good about it.”